Thursday, February 23, 2017

Basic Web Design 101

In my research to find an article that explicated the web design process, I found a website called Basic Web Design 101 that outlines the NINE most important elements of web design. Although the website isn't necessarily I chose this website because the organization of the webpage appealed to me and it made it easy to digest all of the information. I typically enjoy things that are outlined in lists, so that also aided in my decision process.

Here are the 9 elements of web design summarized:

1. Overall Look: The website should look clean, uncluttered, professional, and attractive.

2. Message: You need to give the audience a reason to want to stay on your page. Some of these reasons include: information, entertainment, advice, help with a problem, opportunities to contact similar minded people, and links to useful sites.

3. Speed: People don't like waiting so make sure that the webpage loads quickly and that there aren't graphics that are too big.

4. Graphics and Layout: Graphics and layout contribute to the first impression of your webpage. Graphics eat up a lot of loading time on websites, so make sure the graphics are between 6-8 k (each additional k adds about 2 seconds of loading time)

5. Text Readability: Make sure to select a font, color, and size that are both easy to read and appealing to the eye. Depending on the purpose of the website, there are different requirements for the layout of the text.

6. Page "Skimmability": Make your website easy to skim through, allowing the audience to quickly pick out the key points and elements of your webpage.

7. Navigation: Have a navigation bar on the left side of the page to ensure for easy

8. Privacy Statement and Testimonial:  Predominately for business sites, you need to make sure that your confident on your website.

9. Words: The most important aspect of the website. Make sure your words and thoughts are well organized to display your point.

This website helped me understand what I need to do in order to make an easily accessible and successful website. When I begin with my web design process, I will consult this page as a checklist for things I include in my design.

No comments:

Post a Comment